Friday, August 29, 2014

Fiction Friday: Excerpt from, Heart Wars Novel

I am so excited about this Fiction Friday! Today I am sharing an excerpt from a novel I was able to write with my friend Lauren, this past July. It was so awesome being able to cowrite with her, it was so much fun being able to share in our characters. I gloated over the fact that I created one guy in it who she absolutely loved. We both had pretty bad crushes on him. We liked to consider him our boyfriend we have never had. It can get pretty hilarious when my mind instantly goes to him if I am asked about a boyfriend, I just have to stay quite and not show just how nerdy I am for having a literary character I made as a boyfriend. But I am still debating whether this character is my favorite guy character I have made so far. Nathan, from my novel World's Collide, was a big favorite. 

Anyway, here is an excerpt I wrote for the book. It involves spiritual warfare and a fight for a soul. This excerpt is from the angel Asher's point of view. He is an angel assigned to a girl named Christina who is struggling with her faith.  Enjoy it and let me hear your thoughts!


Excerpt from,  Heart Wars
First Day of Drama


Asher glanced over the room swiftly getting an idea of his surroundings. A large group of young souls swarmed in a room the size of a class room. Paper flew about as teens stumbled about yelling lines and teasing each other. An older soul yelled around them waiving a clip board in the air trying to get control.

“Alright, alright settle down now!” she screamed at last. The kids quieted and came to look her direction as she continued. “I want to confirm you all know who you are playing.” she began, “Raise your hand if you got a call about who you are playing.”

The whole group let their hands fly in the air. One girl stumbled out of te group and complained at the woman, “I never got called, you gotta tell me who I am.” she whined.

“Kathy, right?” she questioned as she glanced back down at her paper.

“Yes.” The girl replied.

“Alight, go meet up with Mrs. Sears in that corner, she will help you out.” the woman waived her hand towards the corner.

The girl stomped over and Asher directed his attention more to his charge who stood amid the crowd smiling timidly. A sweet girl to be sure. She seemed kind and a but reserved, but he could tell she was enjoying the attention of the moment. For it appeared she had gotten some main role. She glowed despite her reserved demeanor. All seemed to love her, all but one. A snobby girl with nearly white blond hair and fiery blue eyes scowled across the room at the group of kids giggling as the instructor spoke. Asher shuddered as three demons hung on the girls shoulders and neck. He knew their names well. Vanity cackled. Rebellion spit towards him. Depression wrapped it's arms tighter around her neck and hissed.

Asher ached at the sight and turned back to his charge. He spotted another dark shadowed demon's presence approaching. Asher slipped an arrow from his quiver and let it slide onto his bow as he crept closer tot he crowd. He relaxed when he spotted the demons already hanging on a teen. A boy with sandy blond hair hanging loosely over his eyes laughed with the group unaware of the five demons clawing at him. Asher shook his head, unaware physically perhaps, but he knew better. He could only image the torture the soul must have gone through every day. One of the demons pointed towards Asher and began to squeal in hatred. The others joined in as they mixed their laughter with the teen's voices.

“What is one of the Creator's servants doing in this place? Does it not know we own all here?” one cackled wagging it's tongue at him as it spoke.

Asher rose to his full height allowing the light of the Creator to shadow the demons, “There are still those who follow the true Lord of this earth.”

The demon hissed, “Not for long.” it motioned towards Christina.

The boy burdened with the demons was letting his hand run through her dark hair secretly behind her. She turned suddenly and her face split in a smile at his face.

“Aidan.” she stuttered.

The boy chuckled, “Sorry, about that, Christy. I couldn't resist your rich soft hair.”

She turned red quickly as she allowed him to lift his hand to her hair once more.

“Do you mind me calling you Christy?” he asked with a smirk.

“I don't mind it... I like it actually.” she timidly replied a smile playing on her lips.

Asher restrained his bow no longer, he let it loose at the demon called Flirtation that played with Christina's hair. It shrieked a drew back slowly causing the boy to drop his hand back to his side.

“She is not yours yet.” He seethed back at the demon holding an arrow to his bow watching the demon pout. “Her heart is set for Jesus Christ and you know it.”

The demons began to scream, “Not the Son of God! No!” they screeched.

“Leave her!” Asher boomed as he dashed across the room to stand behind Christina.


The boy slowly pulled himself back from her turning to the teacher's call. Asher relaxed as the demons left with him.
“You are so perfect for Lizzy!” a girls shrill voice brought Asher back to Christina.

A large group of girls had started to surround Christina and admired her talking loudly of how perfect she was as their teacher tried organizing the group.

“We don't have all day, lets step aside and clear the stage!” the woman hollered over the teens.

Slowly the kids move off the stage still bubbly over with talking. Asher caught the shadow of a demon approaching as he walked by Christina's side. It scurried around him and clawed at Christina. Asher swiped a dagger towards it guarding Christina from the demon's claws. It hissed at him and pulled a jagged knife from it's belt. It stabbed at him and he deflected the blow quickly suddenly realizing Christina was embracing the demon.

“Arrogance, leave now!” He yelled at the demon as it caressed her hair.

It shook it's head holding its knife out in his direction, “She is asking for me. Shall I leave her when she is asking with her own will?” it hissed.

Asher lowered the dagger, “She belongs to The Creator. You can not keep your hold on her.”

“Let's just see how long I can hold on.” it chuckled as Christina smiled at a girls compliment.

Asher flew at the demon with his dagger raised, “No, Christina, remember who you serve.” he called as he clashed his dagger against the demons. The demon snarled and dug its claws tighter into Christian’s shoulder.

“Feel the power of this moment.” It hissed in her ear, “Look at Alisha, enjoy her anger.” It held Asher off with it's dagger while it wagged a finger towards Alisha pouting in the corner.

“No!” Asher screamed as he knocked the Demon's dagger loose, “Jesus Christ! Remember, Christina. Remember.”

Christina had closed her ears to her guardian's words. She listened intently with a smile on her face as the demon spewed lies into her heart.

~

What did you think? Any advice for writing spiritual warfare scenes? I would love to hear tips! Have any of you read This Present Darkness or Angel Eyes? Both are great examples of spiritual warfare novels. 

Join us next time for more Fiction Friday!

Melody


1 comment:

Love to hear your opinion, but lets keep things safe and clean. Thanks!