not plot it before I wrote it. I had the idea and concept, knew were it was going, but never did a detailed plot. Now I am going over it tying up plot holes and cringing at the amount of errors. I keep controlling myself before I throw the whole rough draft across the room and say I'm done.
So, I have decided to search out ways to make the editing process more enjoyable.
1. Rewards
Yes, perhaps I am like a little child who needs to be told I can have a piece of candy once I finish one more page of reading. But let me tell you, it works. I like giving myself rewards like, finish ten pages of edits and watch a movie. Every page does gets an m&m. Things like that really help pushing you to go just a little further.
2. PinterestWhen I began my novel a year ago, I created a secret board on Pinterest holding anything that maypertain to my novel. Characters, scenes, world building, you name it. Those were the dreaming days of my novel. I like to bring it all back now as I edit. Going back through the board, searching for new inspirations and getting the inspiration and hope for the story flowing once more.
I used a pink pen for edits rather then red for editing. Big difference between the two. I need to give myself those little things that help me to be excited to get back to work. The pink pen makes me smile, and be encouraged that I enjoy writing with it. Same as my notebook, a floral pink and blue notebook, given to me by my best friend is the perfect tool. Another tool I enjoy getting to pull out.
4. Environment
Give yourself a place you will enjoy editing in. Wherever you may normally write, try cleaning it up,
putting up encouraging notes, posters, etc. If you write in your bedroom (like me) try to find a good area to always have tidy and ready for you to work in. Make it the no mess zone, ready for work. Add some music to the whole package and make yourself excited to sit and work.
Hope this helps, if you need a little boost for the editing process! What do you normally do to help editing not feel so unenjoyable?-Melody

This was so fun to read! I'm going through editing right now, and it's definitely a chore...I SO agree with the whole pink pen thing - red is always negative for me, so I tend to use other colors for a more positive outlook. It's the little things that help!
ReplyDeleteMelody, this is such an encouraging post... I'm in the process of editing one of my stories right now so this extremely relevant ;)
ReplyDelete(and yay for pinterest inspiration!!)
-Deborah :)