Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Writer's Book Review: A.D. 30

Hello all! Who thinks Ted Dekker is one great inspiration for authors? I adore his writing style and always find awesome gems in each book to take away with and use for writing. Eyes Wide Open was fantastic, but his most recent A.D. 30 has been a blast!


You travel to be with an Arabian young woman named Maviah back to a time when Jesus walked the earth. She has had a sudden quest thrust upon her to save her people with the help of her father's men Saba and Judah. Through her quest she must befriend King Herod and persuade him to come to her aid to save her people. Along the way she is surprised by an unexpected person- Yeshua.

Now, for my writers review. I wanted to make me key points on what I loved the most!

Point of View: The tale is told by Maviah herself in first person. Now it is not the actually fact of it being first person that I love. I love the fact that he chose to tell it from a woman's P.O.V. Woman in this time were shunned and treated as slaves. To see everything from her eyes was so fascinating, watching the interactions between her and her fellow travelers Saba and Judah. But not only was she a woman, she was also a Gentile who is a outcast to her family. Truly a fascinating P.O.V. to read from and a work of fine talent.

Relationships: Maviah is treated kindly by her fellow travelers Saba and Judah. Saba is their silent warrior, always ready to defend her and keep her safe, yet he remains silent and speaks only when necessary. Judah on the other hand, is the hopeless romantic, who loves to sing and watch the stars. Yet he can turn to a fierce warrior when it comes to Mariah's safety. He is always ready to come to her aid. The relationship building was fabulous. I just loved watching how they treated each other. I don't want to spoil to much so I won't go any farther into this aspect.

Portrayal of Jesus: This was done beautifully. I just adore books that give me such a clear view of Jesus, and help me to see Him as the real man yet God He became. It gives you a closer view of Him, being able to be on their level and see Jesus like everyone saw Him. Just another man who shocked the nations. Yet you learn so much more, and grow to find out who He really is.



Over all I really enjoyed it, all the way up until the last page- when the story paused... and I read those dreaded words. Coming Soon A.D. 33 WHA! I have to wait!? I threw the book down, googled the release date and went limp as I read the words October 2015. Yes I am still waiting. It is killing me. But I highly recommend the book, so go read is and be in torment waiting for the next one with me!






Already read it? What did you think?

-Melody

1 comment:

Love to hear your opinion, but lets keep things safe and clean. Thanks!